Creating a Cortana Skill¶
A skill is created when a botlet is published to Cortana. This makes it available to Cortana users on various devices (e.g., laptop, speakers, etc.). When you do this connection by default, it is connected to Cortana Self. This means that only you can run it in Cortana. You also have the option to publish your skill to a designated group of users or to the outside world. For more information about publishing a skill to the Store, see: Publishing.
To create a Cortana Skill, refer to the steps below:
- Visit the Cortana Dev Center, and click Create a skill
- Enter your Microsoft account credentials (e.g., Email, phone, or Skype), and then click Next.
Note: If you need to create a Microsoft account, click Create One! and follow the instructions in the wizard.
- Under Developer programs,browse to Cortana, and then click Get started.
- To accept the Cortana Developer preview terms and conditions, click I accept.
- Click Create a Cortana Skill.
- It is at this point, you will go through the slides of the First Time User Experience tutorial. After you’ve viewed the last slide, click Start and begin creating your new skill.
- Enter a Skill name and Invocation name, and then click Next.
Notes: A skill name is user friendly name that will be shown on the portal. It may contain any combination of upper and lower-case letters as well as special symbols. An invocation name is the command to invoke your skill in Cortana. As an example, “Ask Cortana…’Cortana’ is the invocation phrase.
- Enter a Description, click Upload a new skill image, and then click Next.
- (Optional) Modify the organization name.
It is at this point that you will go through the slides of the First Time Experience user interface tips. Click Got it after each tip.
- Enter a Botlet name, Botlet ID, select a Category, and then click Done.
Notes: Botlet name is user friendly name that will be shown on the portal. It may contain any combination of upper and lower case letters as well as special symbols. The botlet ID is automatically generated with a botlet name. You can modify the botlet ID by typing in the field. Pick a category that best describes your botlet. Having a category key word included in your skill can enhance its discoverability in Store and that channel that it is published to.
It is here that you be presented with the “Welcome to your Workspace!” deck. Click Got it after reviewing each slide. After reviewing the last slide, you will enter the Workspace.
- Enter your First name and Last name, and then click Submit.
The result of the newly created skill is shown in the image below. It is from the Overview menu tab that you can edit the skill description. You can add actions and channels. For more details about adding actions to services, see: Services.
Click the Publish menu tab to view Publish to self channel details. A skill is created when a botlet is published to Cortana. Publish to self means that the skill run in Cortana and no one else will be able to see or use it. You have the option to publish your skill to a designated group of users, or you can publish your skill to the outside world in a channel like Cortana. For more information about these publishing options, see Publishing.
If you encounter a technical issue and you require assistance, please send an e-mail message to:
Managing or Creating Cortana Skills – existing user¶
If you’ve previously created a skill, it is from this location in the Cortana Dev Center portal that you can manage or create new Cortana skills.
Managing Existing Skills
To manage an existing Cortana skill, refer to the steps below.
- Visit the Cortana Dev Center and sign in with your Microsoft account.
- Click My Skills on the main navigation ribbon or click Create a Skill.
- Click Manage and you will be redirected to the Workspace.
- Sign into the KS with your Microsoft account and click one of the Control Panel Menu Tabs menu tabs used for viewing or editing the components that make up a Cortana skill.
If you already have a Cortana skill created, but you want to create more Cortana skills, click Create Cortana Skill or click My Skills on the main navigation menu of the portal. This will redirect you the Workspace. For details on how to use the Workspace for creating skills and their components, refer to the Workspace Overview and Getting Started with Skills.